Wednesday, July 27, 2016

multi plate holders

This project I fell into.....I feel.......is worth writing about.  I'm rather proud of myself....if I do say so!

     We recently acquired a hutch from a family that was moving away.   Kinda fortunate in a way,  since my wife has her Mother's china packed away,  since her passing.   It's a small one though,  but she felt that it would house the set nicely {who am I to argue}.   In the set,  there are eight plates and a platter that require propping up.   She looked at a few different types of holders....even bought a few to try,  but hasn't found the ideal holders to do the job.   Since there are only two shelves,  I told her that she'd need holders that could prop up multiple plates..........to relate this to it's common denominator,  one that would hold up to three plates.  Good luck finding holders that will do that.   I decided that I would try my hand in making them.   Visiting the local Home Depot,  we got a half sheet of 1/4 inch plywood.   I got it home and ripped it into twelve inch wide sheets.......four to be exact.   Taking a measurement of the shelves,  I saw that they are 8 1/2 inches deep.    The shelf will house three rows of plates and there is no problem with the height of the openings........I have a lot of room to play with.   The next step was to draw up a rough diagram of a three plate holder,  and traced the drawing on a sheet of plywood.   It was cut out,  and five more sides were traced on additional plywood,  using the first one as the template.   I don't have any pictures of this,  so I'll continue.
     Some sanding was needed to square up the base,  back,  and front.   Selecting two matching sides {they all varied slightly....I did most of this by eye},  a plate was used to modify the sides,  so the plates would sit properly.   The modifications were trimmed from the sides and they were re- matched,  as well as the others.   A front and back was made for the holder......all done in triplicate,  and the first one was assembled.



     The front piece was fun to make........I did it freehand.   The center board was added to keep the holder from splaying outward,  from carrying the weight over time.   The other two were assembled, and then all three got a good sanding.........rounding the edges and removing any tell tale wood 'feathers' from the cutting.   I did all this with just a scroll saw.   So,  here are all three after sanding.





After making sure I had hit every edge.........and looked good enough,  they were then stained in Cherry.



They then got two coats of poly urethane.   At the moment,  they are still in the garage.  When they are dry enough,  I'll bring them into the house where they can set over night.    To my knowledge,  I don't believe that this type of plate holder exists.





I really wanted to do them in Walnut.......but Cherry stain was all I had on hand.  No matter.....my wife likes them anyway.   Once they are dry,  they will get some felt buttons on the four corners of the base,  that will protect the shelf.   This project took me two days......actually a day and a half {but whose counting}.   The next project might just be the cup holders......I think there's eight of them as well.  I really don't relish screwing the hooks into the underside of the shelf,  which in my view,  is a bit on the thin side.   I'm trying to talk her into letting me make a rack {insert}  to set up behind the bowls and saucers.   I'll keep you posted  ;)

I couldn't consider this finished...........there's no meat with the 'taters.   Here are these lovely plate holders........but no pictures of them in action.   The first picture is the Hutch.......small and cluttered.



After I was finished writing,  I went out to get the holders.   They were dry to the touch,  so I brought them in.   Setting them on the table,  the plates were added to see how it would look.



All I have are large felt buttons........they will do for the time being.   They were put on and then the holders were arranged on the top shelf.   The plates were then added........the platter is in the back center holder.



I think I have her talked into the cup rack........somehow,  I will have to do something about that big veggie bowl {whatever it's called}.   Cripes......I have condiment whatchamacallits as well!...and I saw that there are fifteen cups!.........NOT EIGHT!!!!   oh.....what have I gotten myself into?!?!?!?!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment